Traveling and running are two of my favorite things to do, so I figured I’d combine my love for the two and allow running to take me to new places. For my first half marathon I headed south to Orlando for palm trees, sunshine, and the Disney Princess Half Marathon. My second half marathon, the More/Fitness Women’s Half, took me across New York Harbor from Staten Island to Manhattan’s Upper Westside for a beautiful Sunday run around Central Park with some amazing women. The next one on my list, the Fueled By Wine Half, will take me across the country to Oregon’s beautiful wine country.
Fueled by Fine Wine, in collaboration with the Dundee Hills AVA, will be holding its fourth annual Fueled by Fine Wine Half-Marathon on Sunday July 14, 2013. I plan to start implementing my training plan May 1st, which will include running the hills of the Coast Guard base and the hills of Central Park to help build my endurance because I know the course will be challenging, especially running on unpaved trails. I don’t really train to win, I train to finish. I simply love to run and I enjoy the experience of running with others, running for my health, and seeing new places…and in this case, I run for wine :)
I’ve had a trip to Oregon in the works every since one of my best friends got stationed in North Bend, and when she called me up to tell me about the half I didn’t hesitate to say yes and make the trip official. The chance to see explore a new city, hang with my bestie, to run unpaved vineyard trails as they wind through rows of grapes and under branches of Oregon’s prized hazelnut trees, another half marathon to check off the list, more race bling for my collection, and an after-party of winetasting …Yes Please :)
Check out some of the other awesome destination half marathons I’ve recently added to my race list:
- Great Wall Half Marathon http://great-wall-marathon.com/
- OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon http://www.500festival.com/mini-marathon
- Miami Beach Half Marathon http://www.131marathon.com/miamibeach/NYC Half Marathon
- Oasis Rock ‘n’ Roll Montreal Half Marathon http://ca.competitor.com/en/montreal
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Oslo Half Marathon http://no.competitor.com/oslo/
- Rock ‘n’ Roll San Diego Half Marathon http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/san-diego
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/las-vegas
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Nashville Half Marathon http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/nashville
- Big Sur International Marathon http://www.bsim.org
- New Jersey Marathon and Long Branch Half Marathon http://www.njmarathon.org/events/long_branch_half_marathon.aspx
- Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/
- Tinker Bell Half Marathon http://www.rundisney.com/tinker-bell-half-marathon/
- Napa-to-Sonoma Wine County Half Marathon http://destinationraces.com/runn2s/
- Atlantic City Half Marathon http://www.acmarathon.org
- Charleston Half Marathon http://charlestonmarathon.com
Right now I just have a list, the timeline of when I’ll finish them all is still in the works. Goals start by first putting them in writing right? So, I’m at least of quarter of the way there :) I’m pretty sure the New Jersey Half, the Tinker Bell Half, and the Atlantic City Half will be the first three I complete.
Running is a great way to meet new people and see new places! From China to Norway, Montreal to Miami, and NYC to San Diego I can’t wait to explore new places, try new food, meet new people, and run through some amazing cities! How awesome would it be to run the Great Wall of China instead of simply walking it and taking pictures? To run the famous Vegas Strip at night under the neon lights? To run the longest boardwalk in the Unites States? Or to run the Indianapolis Motor Speedway? Memories of your travels last longer and hold an even deeper meaning when you really experience your trip. Have you ever run a half marathon? Which one was your favorite?
Until next time -xo AGT